How to read / present math, equation, formula in English?
∃ there exist
∀ for all
p⇒q p implies q / if p, then q
p⇔q p if and only if q /p is equivalent to q / p and q are equivalent
x∈A x belongs to A / x is an element (or a member) of A
x∉A x does not belong to A / x is not an element (or a member) of A
A⊂B A is contained in B / A is a subset of B
A⊃B A contains B / B is a subset of A
A∩B A cap B / A meet B / A intersection B
A∪B A cup B / A join B / A union B
A\B A minus B / the difference between A and B
A×B A cross B / the Cartesian product of A and B
3. Real numbers
x+1 x plus one
x-1 x minus one
x±1 x plus or minus one
xy xy / x multiplied by y
(x-y)(x+y) x minus y, x plus y
= the equals sign
x=5 x equals 5 / x is equal to 5
x≠5 x (is) not equal to 5
x≡y x is equivalent to (or identical with) y
x>y x is greater than y
x≥y x is greater than or equal to y
x<y x is less than y
x≤y x is less than or equal to y
0<x<1 zero is less than x is less than 1
0≤x≤1 zero is less than or equal to x is less than or equal to 1
|x| mod x / modulus x
x2 x squared / x (raised) to the power 2
x3 x cubed
x4 x to the fourth / x to the power 4
xn x to the nth / x to the power n
x (−n) x to the (power) minus n
x^2 (square) root x / the square root of x
x^3 cube root (of) x
x^4 fourth root (of) x
x^n nth root (of) x
(x+y)2 x plus y all squared
n! n factorial
x¯ x bar
x˜ x tilde
xi xi / x subscript i / x suffix i / x sub i
∑(i=1~n) ai the sum from i equals one to n ai / the sum as i runs from 1 to n of the ai
‖x‖the norm (or modulus) of x
OA→OA / vector OA
OA¯ OA / the length of the segment OA
AT A transpose / the transpose of A
A−1 A inverse / the inverse of A
f(x) fx / f of x / the function f of x
f:S→T a function f from S to T
x→y x maps to y / x is sent (or mapped) to y
f’(x) f prime x / f dash x / the (first) derivative of f with respect to x
f”(x) f double-prime x / f double-dash x / the second derivative of f with respect to x
f”’(x) triple-prime x / f triple-dash x / the third derivative of f with respect to x
f (4) (x) f four x / the fourth derivative of f with respect to x
∂f/∂x1 the partial (derivative) of f with respect to x1
∂2f/∂x12 the second partial (derivative) of f with respect to x1
∫0∞ the integral from zero to infinity
limx→0the limit as x approaches zero
limx→0+the limit as x approaches zero from above
limx→0−the limit as x approaches zero from below
logey log y to the base e / log to the base e of y / natural log (of) y
lny log y to the base e / log to the base e of y / natural log (of) y
how can i read math set in English?how to read math formulas in English?
Useful template sentences of English writing test of essayessay
1. with the booming of economy
2. with the remarkable improvement of people's living standard
3. advanced science and technology
4. add much spice/ flavor to our daily life.
5. It is commonly believed that
6. I give my vote to the former / latter opinion
7. Sth. has aroused wide public concern./ Sth has drawn great public attention.
8. It is undeniable that ...
9. a heated discussion /debate
10. a controversial issue
11. As far as I am concerned, / Personally
12. be supported by sound reasons
13. argument on both sides
14. play an increasingly important role in ...
15. be indispensable to
16. As the proverb goes:
17. exert positive / negative effects on ...
18. lead to / give rise to /contribute to / result in
19. The advantages far outweight the disadvantages.
20. a complicated social phenomenon
21. sense of responsibility/ achivenment
22. sense of competition and cooperation
23. widen one's horizon / broaden one's vision
24. acquire knowledge and skills
25. financial burden / psychological burden
26. take many factors into consideration
27. from another perspective
28. make joint efforts.
29. be beneficial to / be conducive to ...
30. make contributions to the society
31. lay a solid foundation for ...
32. comprehensive quality
33. be committed / devoted to ...
35. unshakable duty
36. satisfy / meet the needs of ...
37. a reliable source of information
38. valuable natural resources
39. the Internet (note to have 'the', and 'i' should be captilized)
40. convenient and efficient
41. in all aspects of human life
42. environmentally friendly materials
43. a symbol of society progress
44. Sth has greatly facilitated people's lives.
45. hold different attitudes towards this issue
46. to some extent
47. integrate theory with practice
48. an irresistible trend of ...
49. the increasingly keen social competition
50. immediate interest / short-term interest
51. long-term interest
52. has its own merits and demerits / pros and cons
53. do harm to / be harmful to / be detrimental to
54. exchange ideas / emotions / information
55. keep pace with /keep abreast with the latest development of ...
56. the healthy development of ...
57. attach great importance to ...
58. social status
59. focus one's time and energy on ...
60. expand one's scope of knowledge
61. both physically and mentally
62. be directly / indirectly related to ...
63. give rise to / lead to / spell various problems
64. the words to replace 'think' : believe, claim, maintain, argue, insist, hold the opinion / belief / view that
65. relieve stress / burden
66. give (top) priority to sth
67. compared with .../ in comparison with
68. degradable / decomposable material
69. replace / substitute / take the place of
70. offer job opportunities
71. mirror the social progress / advance
72. enhance / promote mutual understanding
73. make full use of / take advantage of
74. suffer from heavier work pressure
75. guarantee the stability and prosperity of our society
76. realize one's dream
77. adapt oneself to the social development
78. put more emphasis on ...
79. the main / leading reasons are list as follows:
80. we still have a long way to go
Labels: English Writing
1. Check email less
2. Plan the next day the night before
3. Don't fight against your body clock.
if you get used to stay up late and get up late, just do it. It's good as long as it is regular.
You can be efficient either way.
4. eat less eat well, but eat more frequently
5. stay hydrated
6. Do the hard work up front
Frequently used sentences on booking a flight ticket.
1. I want a package deal including airfare and hotel.
2. I'd like to change this ticket to the first class.
3. I'd like to reserve a sleeper to Chicago.
4. I'd like to sit in the front of the plane.
5. I'd like two seats on today's Northwest Flight 8 to Toronto, please
6. I'd like to buy an excursion pass instead.
7. I'd like a refund on this ticket.
8. I'd like to have a seat by the window.
9. we have only one a day for New York.
10. The flight number is CA1024 on Sep 5th.
11. There's a ten thirty flight in the morning.
12. I'd like to reconfirm my flight from London to Tokyo.
13. My reservation number is 3425.
14. Do you have any tickets available for that date?
15. Would you please make my reservation to Chicago for tomorrow?
16. What is the fare to New York, Economy Class?
17. Where do I pick up the ticket?
18. Can I have a second - class one way ticket to Chicago, please?
19. Can I stop over on the way?
20. What time does the plane take off ?
Test English Info
- ▼ October (7)